Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Harry Potter

As nerdy as it sounds, a book that I can really relate to would be Harry Potter. By no means are my parents dead, and I didn't live in a broom closet under the stairs, but it was a book that my dad would read to me every night. We would look forward to finding out what happens to the famous Harry Potter. Even though Harry Potter doesn't have a traditional family, his family of close friends and professors reminded me a lot of my own. I too agree that people don't have to be related to you by blood for you to consider them your family. Plus, the relationship that Harry had with Professor Dumbledore was close to what kind of relationship I had with my dad. I know I could go to him with anything, and he may not always give me the answer straight away, but he let me figure it out for myself.

Another way I could relate to this book was the fact that Harry Potter was nearly the same age as I was when my dad and I first started to read the series. I loved the fact that sometimes Harry would encounter the same problems that I faced in my life. Granted, he could almost always fix his problem with a little bit of magic, but I liked the fact that it humanized him. I like that he wasn't always perfect and got into trouble once in a while. It's strange to think, but I truly "grew up" with Harry. When the final book came out, my heart pained when I finished it because I knew it was truly the end. For seven years I had learned so much about a magical world that sometimes I felt like I was actually there.

The Harry Potter series made an incredable impact on so many young adults lives. Even though Harry lived in a made up world, almost everyone could still relate to the many adventures he went on or problems he faced. The series may be finished, but I will always remember my Dad and I reading those books every night.

1 comment:

  1. Willa,
    I love your connection with this book. I, as well, had a connection with my dad in my book. I also enjoyed your introduction; it was kinda humoring to me. I, personally, have never read a Harry Potter book, but with all of these good recommendations I have heard in class, I probably should start reading now. Thanks for sharing your connection!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete