Thursday, February 21, 2013

1/2 transcendentalist


"If you are cheated out of a single dollar by your neighbor, you do not rest satisfied with knowing that you are cheated, or with saying that you are cheated, or even with petitioning him to pay you your due; but you take effectual steps at once to obtain the full amount, and see that you are never cheated again (Thoreau 4)." This quote from Civil Disobedience expresses the meaning of a philosophical movement that caught fire among writers and citizens in the United States around the 1800s. Transcendentalists protest against the general state of culture and society. Their core belief was in the ultimate divinity of both nature and humans and intense feelings of self-reliance. The real question is whether or not I would follow in the footsteps of these important American writers and “conform” to the transcendentalist movement. Oh the irony!

I would consider myself a half-transcendentalist in the fact that I don’t want to protest everything my government passes and enforces. I feel that society needs rules and regulations in order for it to work smoothly. There is a quote from Self-Reliance by Emerson that comes to mind as a good example of the exact opposite theory that I believe in, “Let us affront and reprimand the smooth mediocrity and squalid contentment of the times, and hurl in the face of custom, and trade, and office, the fact which is the upshot of all history, that there is a great responsible Thinker and Actor working wherever a man works; that a true man belongs to no other time or place, but is center of things (Emerson 4)." I do not think we should hurl in the face of custom, trade, and office. Although that image is extremely graphic, I think these qualities speak to our character more and that is why we should keep them.

I said I consider myself half a transcendentalist because I do love the image of all of nature as being the Divine. I'm not really sure where I got it from, but I have always had an immense respect for the land and nature around me. It often times reminds me of something so pure and untouchable; I think that is also why I was able to connect with the idea of divinity.

In short, I would throw out all ideas of nonconformity with respects to government, but hold fast to the idea that nature is divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment