Even though my parents and I never directly conversed the discussion, all
along I had considered myself to be living in the middle to upper-middle class
region of our country. What clued me in were considering various variables such
as being able to live in a more than comfortable house, venturing all over the
United States and outside it's boarders, and knowing that my college education
is paid for. I found it peculiar that the article made an argument stating that
America had moved toward an appearance of "classlessness". I had
always thought that America was mainly comprised of middle class citizens,
opposed to the harsh gap between rich and poor like some European countries
have. However after reading this article, I found that I could almost directly
relate to a specific quote as well as more. The quote is, "Parents with
money, education, and connections cultivate in their children the habits that
the meritocracy rewards." Knowing that my parents were not born
millionaires, and that they had to work hard to earn their wealth that they
have today, I feel like they have instilled important habits that will allow me
to do the same. As the article states, "Today, anyone may have a shot at
becoming a United States Supreme Court justice or a C.E.O., and there are more
and more self-made billionaires." This is a perfect example that
encompasses the type of economy that my generation is living in. It's honestly
amazing how we have so many opportunities to succeed under our own making. The
important thing to take away from this article is that "there are poor and
rich in the United States, of course, the argument goes; but as long as one can
become the other, as long as there is something close to equality of
opportunity, the differences between them do not add up to class barriers."
Hey Will!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post!I also found it interesting that the article mentioned the appearance of "classlessness"... I also have tended to think that the middle class was a big part of American identity, but maybe there is a growing gap between the very wealthy and the poor.
Good post!!
Hi, Willa! Yeah, I have thought that aside from the rich and poor, the middle-class made up the majority of US Citizens. I think it is harder to distinguish among classes, but that we still do have them. I like your idea about the second quote. I agree that learning from our parents can help us strive to do better. If we want to succeed, it truly is our own doing. I do wonder, though, what the social status and mobility will be like in the future. I like your last quote a lot, because I like the promise it holds. If we can, as Americans, have social mobility, then we can always strive to be better and have opportunities, regardless of where we started from. Nice blog post!
ReplyDelete